76 Dean Street was built in 1732 by Thomas Richmond and sits in the Pitt estate that is located within the Soho Conservation area.
The building holds a great historical as well as architectural interest and is described in the survey of London as “outstanding”.
The interior was a fine example of a Georgian house and contained on the entrance stair lobby a mural that is attributed to the artist John Devoto.
The building was all but destroyed in a fire on the 10th July 2009. This fire and subsequent water used to control it led to the loss and destruction of the majority of the internal fabric of the building. This included the area of the stair hall lobby and mural.
It therefore resulted in the need for this area to be stabilised, resecured and painstakingly restored and refurbished with the rest of the building in methods sympathetic to the fabric of the original construction.
- Stabilisation of remaining original plaster through application of new fixing system of both mechanical and chemical fixings.
- Failed sections of ceiling plaster salvaged and resecured at new misaligned positions.
- Restoration of the remaining original plasterwork with new hand riven lath and lime plaster application to matching texture of original.